Our Wedding Day

Our Wedding Day
Happiest day of my life

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Grief Counseling

I wanted to start grief counseling right away. I am a talker and I had so much to face right away. I started one on one about 3 months out.I talked, she listened, gave some advice and kept telling me I was normal and doing great.

A few months later I tried a group.It was comprised of people with mixed losses and I could tell we were never going to form a cohesive group. It was too much for me at the time. I know people who have done very well in group but this wasn't for me. I was spending my time in individual talking about how taumatized I was by group. My counselor, the group counselor and I all agreed it wasn't the right group or the right time.

My individual counselor told me as long as I was informally seeing my young widow friends, I did not need a professionally run group. She was so right. I was able to leave individual counseling at the end of June.

I can always go back for a tune up if I need to. In the meantime I always know what I will be facing and get great coping advice from my friends further along on this grief rollercoaster....They are my blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment